Board Liaison & Executive Coordinator
The Board Liaison & Executive Coordinator is responsible for administrative and strategic support to the Executive Director and Board of Trustees. This position functions as the primary contact person for the Board of Trustees and supports the Board Chair with Board management. She will be expected to remain in regular contact with the Executive Leadership Team, Board Chairman, and Trustees of the organization, advising and keeping them informed of board and committee activity.
This position performs responsibilities related to the strategic activities and actions of the board including but not limited to communications and institutional governance. The Board Liaison & Executive Coordinator is accountable for activities designed to heighten the board’s institutional image along with other projects identified by the Executive Director and/or the Board Chairman. The Liaison will position the Executive Director and the Board Chairman, to create a plan to become South Florida’s top nonprofit Board of choice by engagement and giving measures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Provide strategic administrative support to the Executive Director to support optimal use of her time and resources and effective achievement of Executive Director’s goals and responsibilities.
- Support the execution of the Executive Director’s short and long term goals and responsibilities.
- Research, prioritize, and follow up on incoming issues and concerns identified by and /or addressed to the Executive Director, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature. Recommend appropriate course of action, referral, or response.
- Translate goals into daily/weekly action plans; confirm and support execution of plans.
- Coordinate with Executive Director’s Administrative Assistant on Executive Director’s calendar, ensuring that schedule is handled in an efficient manner.
- Work close with the Executive Director to keep her informed of and prepared for upcoming commitments and responsibilities and to ensure her appropriate follow-up.
- Successfully complete critical aspects of deliverables with a hands-on approach, including drafting acknowledgement letters, personal correspondence, and presentations, as well as other tasks that facilitate the Executive Director’s ability to effectively lead the organization.
- Prepare briefing materials for the Executive Director in preparation for meetings and travel (including assisting with the drafting of development related presentation materials), working closely with development.
- As directed by the Executive Director, conduct research and assemble and analyze data to prepare reports and documents.
- Prioritize needs, handle matters expeditiously, proactively, and follow through to successful completion.
- In collaboration with Development, follow up on contacts made by the Board Chair and support the cultivation of ongoing relationships.
Provide administrative support and serve as the primary contact for the Board of Trustees.
- Prioritize, oversee and review communications that enhance Trustee participation and oversee strategic activities pertaining to Trustee meetings, events, speeches, and correspondence.
- Ensure coordinated, timely, accurate, and effective communications to and among Board members is deliberate and consistent with MCB messaging.
- Outline materials available to the Board including but not limited to the board meeting, trustee meeting, retreat packets, directories, reports, invitations, and others to be determined.
- Work with Executive Director and Chairman of the Board to plan for board succession and continuity regarding board leadership and committee chairs.
- Work with the Executive Director, Board Chairman, and the Nominating and Governance Committee to identify gaps in expertise, networks or reach and support the efforts to bring broader access within additional spheres of influence to the company. Help build and maintain a list of board recruitment targets.
- Support leadership in the on-going review of board committee structure and make recommendations that build and support that structure to its greatest success.
- Work with the Executive Director and Board Chairman to analyze current effectiveness of board committees, determining where additional support is necessary and where there may be redundancies.
- Support the Executive Director and Board Chair in evaluating current and projected composition of individual Trustees and committees. Help to identify candidates for committee membership that ensure demographic balance and practical use of members’ skills.
- Oversee the annual election process at the organization’s Annual Meeting.
- Make sure governance related topics and issues are addressed in a timely manner by the appropriate members of the Board or staff.
Logistics and Coordination:
- Support the Executive Director, Board Chair, and the Leadership Team in developing and executing new member orientation and other related development programs for board members.
- Oversee planning, preparation, implementation and follow up for business meetings of the board. In partnership with the Board Chair, Executive Director, and the Leadership Team, develop board/committee meeting schedule, agenda, and provide background materials for board deliberations. Confer with necessary stakeholders as needed to establish board meeting annual calendar.
- Oversee all planning and logistics around board support, including regular meetings, committee meetings and correspondence.
- Actively reach out to assist each committee liaison and chairman to guarantee productive content.
- Monitor each committee’s adherence to its charter and provide guidance as needed.
- Work with the committee liaisons to review the committee charters annually, and to ensure that they remain relevant and of value.
- Attend committee meetings and along with committee liaisons, orient new members to their assigned committee prior to their first meeting.
- Facilitate the work of the committees and work with staff liaisons to outline a list of proposed activities and meeting agendas for the coming year.
- Assist with early identification of problems or concerns raised in committees and support effective discussion/action to resolve issues raised.
- Identify developments where Executive Committee action would advance success.
- Advise committees about when it is appropriate to present an agenda item, usually interim and final reports or specific recommendations, for Executive Committee or full board consideration.
- Prepare the Executive Director and Chairman of the Board for potential discussion items at Board or committee meetings.
- Ensure Board minutes are recorded and distributed following the meeting.
- Provide leadership to increase involvement, engagement and support of MCB from Trustees by outlining individual, intentional stewardship plans.
- Develop a plan and calendar for travel to include destination, cultivation and follow-up strategies. Coordinate and prioritize invitation lists for travel opportunities with MCB Trustees and donors.
- Support capital campaign efforts by ensuring that appropriate trustee involvement is taking place on an ongoing basis.
- Work with the Chief Development Officer and members of the Development Department to support the fundraising efforts of the institution.
- BA degree.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working in Development and/or board management.
- Must have experience working with a nonprofit board, the ability to relate to board members who have a heightened affinity for the organization and facilitate ongoing activities that ensure the success of the institutional strategic plan.
- Must serve with integrity, model stewardship and professionalism, cultivate constructive relationships, and promote learning.
- Self-starter, detail-oriented, ability to meet deadlines and handle multiple priorities in sometimes stressful situations.
- Must be comfortable working independently.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated poise, diplomacy, tact and good judgment. Impeccable discretion above all else. Respect and maintain confidentiality.
- Excellent calendar management skills, including the coordination of meetings and Board related events.
- Able to multi-task and recognize priorities and work with tight deadlines.
- Ability to read, write, speak and comprehend English fluently.
- Ability to read and comprehend basic instructions given from written and oral sources.
- Ability to write professional business correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information to and collaborate with all levels of employees.
COMPUTER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Microsoft Office, including Microsoft Excel
- Tessitura a plus
- knowledge of board management digital platforms a plus
To apply, please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Miami City Ballet seeks to develop and nurture its diversity. Miami City Ballet is committed to maintaining an inclusive community that recognizes and values the inherent worth and dignity of every person; fosters tolerance, sensitivity, understanding, and mutual respect. Miami City Ballet is an EEO employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.