Associate Director Communications
Associate Director of Communications is responsible for the design and implementation of PR and Communication strategies via traditional and digital media, at both local, national and international levels to extend and reinforce the long-range goals of Miami City Ballet. With a solid knowledge base of arts & culture, and in consultation with the Chief Marketing Officer, this position handles public relations and in-house publications that support Institutional activities and Marketing/Sales associated with the Ballet Company, the Performances, MCB Ballet School, and Community Engagement. The position requires evening hours and travel during season at performance venues.
ESSENTIAL POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leverage MCB’s reputation as a world-class institution with premiere programming, impactful education and community programs in media relations efforts across local- to national-, general-interest and industry-based media outlets through robust media relations coverage, seeking high level impact placements to increase and elevate brand awareness in the marketplace.
- Expand and maximize multi-channel media coverage and overall visibility of the brand by leveraging knowledge of dance and performing arts industry press, proactively expand industry and cultivate relationships with key local and national dance and arts critics, writers, editors, bloggers, influencers, tastemakers and broadcast journalists.
- Shape and support thought leadership initiatives that position and amplify MCB in the cultural arts sector, commitment to the community, and artist excellence within the dance industry.
- Formulate, pitch and place stories based on strategic season plan and fulfill incoming media requests as needed.
- Create and build strong content to connect the brand to our fans through social media platforms, special events and promotions, and institutional newsletters.
- Coach and media train senior staff, dancers and other personnel for media appearances and interviews.
- Work closely with Marketing to reach attendance and revenue goals for tickets programs.
- Reinforce organizational best practice for PR and communication policies – both internal and external.
- Draft institutional press releases, spokesperson remarks, newsletters, media alerts and messaging; review select institutional material for clarity, positioning, message consistency and to catch errors.
- Handle crisis management to define organizational policies and practices around communications and crisis management, remaining vigilant about issues that could become crisis situations; guide and help enact crisis management procedures/protocol as issues arise.
- Participate in cross-departmental taskforces related to public affairs, internal communications, and diversity and inclusion initiatives. Lead additional cross-functional efforts as necessary related to communications and play key role in brand management.
- Supervise all PR-related photography, manage related budget and provide input on upcoming needs.
- Manage and produce development of institutional publications such as the annual report in concert with the CMO.
- Craft institutional curatorial stories for social media, work cross-functionally to develop and gather content in alignment with institutional messaging, and maintain the content calendar.
- Manage PR and Publication vendor relationships, ensuring deliverables and accountability while building a strong, collaborative partnership.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned by supervisor.
- Demonstrates sound judgment, decision-making skills and absolute confidentiality.
- Strong relationship building and persuasive capabilities to creating and telling stories and narratives that can elevate the MCB brand.
- Engages as a proactive team player in the face of organizational change; provides direction and effectively manages multiple projects to ensure consistently high standard end product.
- Communicates clearly, effectively and accurately through all earned media to engage current and new audiences with goal of increasing awareness and repeated engagement.
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, high energy environment. Can prioritize tasks on the fly, demonstrates effective time and project management skills.
- Stays abreast of current trends in social and traditional marketing communications.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor degree in liberal arts, journalism, communications, or arts administration – Preferred.
- Superior writing and editing skills required.
- Arts, Culture and/or Entertainment related experience
- Preferred: Knowledge of ballet repertory, choreographers, social media platforms and best practices.
- Minimum of two years of experience supervising staff and directing outside vendors
- Must be able to interface effectively and professionally with individuals at various levels, both internally and externally.
- PC and related software. Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite programs
- Competence in use of PC and related software. Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite programs.
To apply, Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Subject Heading: Associate Director Communications
Miami City Ballet seeks to develop and nurture its diversity. Miami City Ballet is committed to maintaining an inclusive community that recognizes and values the inherent worth and dignity of every person; fosters tolerance, sensitivity, understanding, and mutual respect. Miami City Ballet is an EEO employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.